"It Happens"

"It Happens."   

After I miscarried at 11 weeks with my first child, that conversation stayed with me.  Even to this day, 5 years later, it has stayed with me.  Because that OBGYN either didn't have any urgency to see me until 12 weeks, I never got to see a picture of my baby.  He questioned me when I came in to see him. "Are you sure you're 11 weeks along? Are you sure you didn't miscount the weeks?"


This is what I should have seen on the ultrasound.  This is an 11 week baby.  Instead, I saw a blob. I knew right when I saw the ultrasound.  My baby was gone.  

Unfortunately miscarriage happens in approximately 70% of pregnancies. 
This includes chemical as well as miscarriages that happen further along.  


Most of the time, the egg is successfully fertilized, however, it is unable to develop properly.  The biggest reason for this is chromosomal abnormalities.  In fact, chromosomal abnormalities are the number one reason of miscarriage.


Why are there so many abnormalities happening? Eggs' mitochondria (their energy houses) become damaged and do not produce enough energy to process the chromosomes (directions to grow the baby) correctly. 


˃˃This happens most frequently with recurrent miscarriage, failed embryo transfers, PCOS, endometriosis, and other hormonal imbalances.


The BEST way to prevent chromosomal abnormalities is through diet and lifestyle changes.  According to the Nurses' Health Study, improving diet and lifestyle improved fertility by 74%.

Next tip: go GLUTEN-FREE! 

Comments

Popular Posts